Friday, November 21, 2014

Art Quilts, Etc. 12 x 12 Challenge

I belong to an active Art Quilt group in Las Vegas, NV.  The group has been ongoing for nine years, provides a safe haven to share ideas, and is directly affiliated with the quilt guild, Desert Quilters of Southern Nevada.  One of our members challenged our art circle to create 12 x 12 blocks using a randomly assigned color and your choice of techniques.  The challenge was inspired by the Twelve by Twelve International group. The color blocks will be grouped and displayed together for our annual quilt show, Quilt Las Vegas, in March 2015.

Below are the completed blocks for the challenge colors I was given.  Although very different techniques were used in constructing each block, I am happy with the final results.  As always it it fun to play and experiment.

My Day In The Sun ~ 2014
My Day ~ Detail
Turquoise ~ Detail













The techniques used to create "My Day In The Sun" are original art photocopied and transferred to fabric, stitched using poly thread, inserted into hand dyed light canvas and then quilted with cotton thread.  I love the colors of this piece and it represents the color ...
Orange, which I will admit may be a stretch and is definitely an artist's prerogative.

Turquoise

I like the turquoise piece better it's detail than in it's whole part.  And certainly it did not photograph as well as the orange 12 x 12 piece.  Still the mark of the hand stitching is always rewarding.  I extended the stitched line from the main block into the background block.  Keeping the thread color of the lines the same color way as the background block helped incorporated the two blocks without taking the eye away from the focal turquoise block.

All in all is was a fun challenge. The level of accomplished pieces was truly extraordinary and the final groupings should be phenomenal. I will show more photos of the group's final pieces once they are readied for our quilt show.

No comments:

Post a Comment