|Wool and Silk Roving|
|Detail of hand stitch|
Felting Materials and Tools can be found at local craft stores or on-line. A favorite site is Wistyria.com.
BASIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEEDLE FELTING:
· Always hold the needle at the top just below the bend at the top.
· NEVER do any punching without keeping your eye on the needle. Ends are sharp and you could cut yourself.
· Always hold the needle vertically to the surface you are working on to prevent breaking the needle. The needle is more efficiently felting when held vertically.
· Do not apply pressure with your finger against the side of the needle at an angle or you could break the needle.
· Place needles back into the plastic sleeves and in the bag they came in.
· When layering fibers, always alternate the direction of the wool from layer to layer, going opposite directions. First layer vertically, next layer horizontally and repeat if more layers are required.
· Do not use needles on wet wool. They could rust and they tend to break more easily.
· Needle felting should always be done on a piece of foam 2” thick by 8" x 6”, a brush matt, or using a Styrofoam form. Always place foam on a firm surface while working.