Thursday, May 20, 2021

Learning Something New: Creating a Siddi Quilt

Creating brings hope and healing. Inspiration comes from tending a summer garden, taking an on-line class, walking out of doors, listening to podcasts and books on tape, meeting with kindred souls on zoom, particpating in free on-line webinars, and learning about the world I live in.

Here's my list of favorites:

1. Trying different plants in the garden, planting dye seeds, Navajo Sun Flowers and Indigo plants.
2. Participating in on-line interactive workshops such as Siddi Quilts with Sujata Shah.
3. Taking three mile walks through Cotton Wood Park, Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV.
4. Listening to pocasts; two favories are Berne Brown and LeVar Burton Reads.
5. Finding interesting books on tape; my latest listen; "I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness", author Austin Channing Brown. 
6. Attending SAQA Regional Meetings, Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild meetings, and monthly Art Quilts, Etc meetings.
7. Watching Webinars/videos; two favorites are; Botanical Colors (Feedback Fridays), and Textile Talks.

All these activities keep me connected to things I love and engaged in making. This month I took a class with Sujata Shan..  She shared techniques and gave a brief history about the makers of the Indian Siddi quilts and their traditions. Working from the outside to the inside, each piece of cloth was hand sewn with a running stitch.  I used a milners #1 needle and aurilfil size #12 thread.

Finished quilt; 20 x 20 inches

 Sometime in a more recent past, I was given a pineapple motif panel that was partially complete.  I finished it by adding diaginal siduku lines and cross stitch.  Adding a border to the panel a pillow cover was made.  It was fun to complete something that started out plain and developed into a functional piece.

Pineapple Pillow Cover
 
Detail - Varigated cotton

Go gently ... go safely, go create !

No comments:

Post a Comment