Monday, August 28, 2017

End of Summer ... Deadline Challeges

While the summer heat in Las Vegas remains in three digits, knowledge of summer's end comes with cool mornings and balmy evenings.  These pre and post day temperature fluctuations are a true shift in the season.  Soon it will be time to return to the garden which is in need of trimming, cleaning and new plantings.  I love adding color and working in the dirt.  There is something eternal about digging in the garden that feeds the soul.

While talking with a respected art friend, she asked me what I receive by entering my work into national fiber arts shows.  Initially, I spoke to the desire to share the work within a larger scope, and by doing so gauging my progress.  In our discussion, this wise friend, pointed out what she had observed about my process.  I was reminded that deadlines increase my productivity.  This insight was something I had never considered.  Indeed, I realized focus and intent increase the closer I come to a deadline.   Deadlines are self chosen parameters which challenge me to push forward to work within a time constraint.  There are days when the creative muse escapes me, yet those are the days when getting into the studio is the most important.  Having deadlines keeps me focused and provides discipline, a kick in the pants, when needed most. So while it is fun to create when the iron is hot, it is equally important to do the work, consistently and in gratitude.

So, onto what is current.  To keep track of important dates I list entry challenges on a calendar.  My selection of where and what to enter is based on current work and how it fits the call for artist entry or a theme that speaks to personal interest. The past two years, I have been honored with selection into an annual gallery show in Chandler, Arizona.  This year's theme is “As Near to the Edge as I Can Go”, Art Quilts XXII.  Interests in hand dyes, paint, and creating my mark through hand stitch have dominated the pieces being constructed currently.  I love experimenting with materials.  That has always been a constant in my fiber work. Using dye and paint and a variety of threads encourages me to push these materials past their traditional applications.

The two pieces I have entered into Chandler's Art Quilt XXII show for consideration are Sargasso Sea (36 wide by 52 high) and Spiral Dance (24 wide by 36 long).  Both incorporate the use of hand dyed fabrics (cotton, silk and canvas) and are finished using the technique of directed hand stitch.  Both compositions are abstracts inspired by color palettes created in the hand dyed, wax resist fabrics.  The making of each was time intense.  The process used to create is layered based, cumulative, one step leads to an other step. I love developing in stages while utilizing marking methods unique to the hand of the artist.   Equally, I love the the results.  My hope is that my passion and spirit shine through each piece.

Sargasso Sea - Colors of the Water and the Kelp found in the region

Details of wax resist dye fabric, paint and hand stitch


Spiral Dance Detail - Central hand dyed piece, hand stitch































Enjoy the art, enjoy the day,
Rickie



No comments:

Post a Comment